ForumCo Support Forums
ForumCo Support Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 ForumCo Support Boards
 Members helping members - Administrator Support
 Can't log on??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  14:53:00  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try searching this forum. You will see a check box for "Archived posts".
Enter "e" (without quotes) to see what it returns.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Helpdesk Knowledgebase Rate ForumCo @ Hotscripts Rate ForumCo @ Cgi-Resources
Please provide:
* error messages * direct link to your forum * any possibly helpful information.
Go to Top of Page

letstalkgh

62 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  15:09:48  Show Profile Send letstalkgh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot log on as admin either. The forum does not load all the way...and i just get that same error.

GH Forum
Go to Top of Page

letstalkgh

62 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  15:11:55  Show Profile Send letstalkgh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot log on as admin either. The forum does not load all the way...and i just get that same error. I tried what you suggested..refreshed..no go.

GH Forum
Go to Top of Page

letstalkgh

62 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  15:14:01  Show Profile Send letstalkgh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot log on as admin either. The forum does not load all the way...and i just get that same error. I tried what you suggested..refreshed..no go.

GH Forum
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  15:18:12  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm installing a firewall to filter out unwanted traffic in the hope that it will improve things but may cause a little downtime in the meantime.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
* error messages * direct link to your forum * any possibly helpful information.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  15:31:23  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm installing a firewall to filter out unwanted traffic in the hope that it will improve things but may cause a little downtime in the meantime.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  15:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Think I finally got it installed correctly.

Let me know if it makes any difference.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

DBLSlide
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  18:19:48  Show Profile  Send DBLSlide an AOL message Send DBLSlide a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Padraic,

We are still having the same problem with Montana Owners Forum. The changes did not seem to help.

Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  18:37:18  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just upgraded it to the new version and am archiving topics as we speak.

I think I found the source of the timeouts as well.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Montana Owners Club
ForumCo Moderator

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  19:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Montana Owners Club's Homepage Send Montana Owners Club a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Padraic,

The forum looks great and so far with the upgrade seems to be working well. New features for the members to learn. I notice that you can't use HTML and Forum Code at the same time, yet pictures in the body of the post are still possible? Before I had both turned on, but since I am not very behind the scenes savvy, I don't know if there is any negative impact on HTML being off. When I tried to reverse it, I was not allowed to do so.

Spell check is gone and so are private messages. Is there a way to have either of those? Many of our members used the private message feature often.

I love the quick reply feature and maybe it will help our members not to use the reply with quote feature too often. We get a lot of quoted posts but have no actual posting by the person who was trying to post.

I was going to ask if I had to archive topics and am pretty relieved that you are doing it. I would like to learn anything I can that would help make your job easier and if archiving is the way to go is that something I need to do and if so how often?

What was the source of the time outs?

I know this has taken an insurmountable amount of time on your part and assure you that we appreciate very much.

Hope you get to rest soon?

Lady RV

Montana Owner's Club Discussion Forum
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  19:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to rest now. Your forum should be ok (hopefully) for the near future.
Leave html off, you are far better off believe me. You can do almost anything with
forum code and its safer.

I tried to archive topics but it timed out. It seems ok as it is though so I might leave it.
I'm going to upgrade all the busiest forums after this.

The source of the timeouts was this;

The previous owner of one of the i.p. address assigned to the server must have used it quite a lot
for emule or some other file sharing program. Millions of users all over the interent were trying
to connect to the i.p. address which ended up a bit like a DDOS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack.
I've spent the whole day banning ports like 6667 (used for irc chat) and all the p2p ports.
I'll ban more tomorrow. Banning the ports was done before I upgraded your forum and it seemed to fix it
as I could get a timeout error. I upgraded it anyway because I calculated your pageviews from yesterdays pageviews
alone. It came to 2,000,000 a year and that was when the forum was slow.....

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Montana Owners Club
ForumCo Moderator

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  20:07:30  Show Profile  Visit Montana Owners Club's Homepage Send Montana Owners Club a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW! A whole lot of page views. I knew we were a really busy forum. We have grown somewhere around 1000 members in a year. Some of those are duplicate and non-active memberships, but still we have a lot members. Keystone the manufacturer of our campers added our Forum to their brochures. We are the largest Private RV Club that is not sponsored by the manufacturer. Of course Montana's are the number 1 selling Fifth Wheel in the Nation.

RVWheels said just about what you did regarding HTML and also said not very many people used it anyway.

There are already posts regarding how much they like the new format/version. They are all very happy it is up and running again as well. They were going through withdrawals. Our forum like so many is addicting.

I need to talk to you in a couple of days after you have rested, regarding the forum and if something happens to me (morbid I know) that we have a way to make sure the forum continues and doesn't disappear and someone else can take over payment and the ownership of it.

Again a heart felt thank you for all your hard work, help and diligence.

Now you get some rest,

Lady RV

Go to Top of Page

Montana Owners Club
ForumCo Moderator

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  20:09:31  Show Profile  Visit Montana Owners Club's Homepage Send Montana Owners Club a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can the PM feature be added? Will spell checker be available soon?

The formatting buttons aren't functioning at all in the compose a post area. Also for some odd reason I can't highlight in the body of the area to compose a post.

Avatars/Pictures under the user name are no longer an option are they? Will they ever be?

Is the signature area still limited to the number of characters allowed?

Again, so far mostly positive response to the forum change.

Lady RV

Edited by - Montana Owners Club on 06/14/2004 22:45:42
Go to Top of Page

Montana Owners Club
ForumCo Moderator

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  22:58:32  Show Profile  Visit Montana Owners Club's Homepage Send Montana Owners Club a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi again...I am really feeling like a pain in the neck. Sorry!

I received this from one of my Moderators tonight. She sent it to me at 10:52 p.m. EST.

quote:
Lady RV, I now know that things are not going good for Montana Owners Club, I did manage to get on long enough to do the Intro's tonight, but when you click on their names it takes to the MOC home page and not their profile. Everything has changed and I hope we can find out how all this works. I have two browsers and neither one of them works. I can not go the general section or any of the other ones.

Anyway I hope what I did was ok at least the new members got Intro'ed today..

I know that everyone must be going crazy trying to find out what is going on, and I have to tell you that REFRESH DOES NOT WORKI. It is so strange even all the colors are different.... Well Hon. I won't bother you any more but I will do the best I can for our forum. Prariepoodle

Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  02:14:19  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ask all your users to clear out their cookies or they may have problems logging in. Its because the cookies are different in the new version.

I've fixed the formatting buttons. My fault, sorry.

Avatars, pm's, etc. will be added in time. At the moment I want to make sure that everything else is working.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ForumCo Support Forums © 2000 - 2010 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2