ForumCo Support Forums
ForumCo Support Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 ForumCo Support Boards
 Members helping members - Administrator Support
 please help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jackbrim
Starting Member

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  18:31:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have some members that have changed their e-mails but can't change them in their profiles so i went and tried it as the forum admin and it said that the e-mail is already being used. When they try to re register they can't because the so say email address is already in use and we know its not as it still shows the old e-mail address in their profile. Confused...hope not because it is a problem that has been going on for a while.
You must be logged in to see this link.

I am no lady but definately a woman

RUlmer

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2012 :  19:55:04  Show Profile Send RUlmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what it is worth, I just edited a member's email address and the process went just as it is designed to do.

I'm not sure what process your members tried (or did) when trying to change their email addresses. If they tried to register as a different username, or the same with a new email, then the process would not have worked. The correct way would have been for them to login, then click on the "Profile" link (it would then ask for that user's password again); then they simply back-out the old email address and type in the new one. Then they need to be sure to click the "Submit" button.
Then the program sends an email to the new email address (to confirm it is a valid email address); that email sent also requires the member to confirm they requested the email change by clicking the link provided within the email. Not clicking that link will void the process of changing the member's email address to the new one.

If all goes correctly, and the member follows the instructions, the next time the member logs in to the forum their new email will be correct.

NOTE: one thing that could be messing up the process, is the fact that some members may have tried to re-register with the "New" email they are trying to change their profile to. This would cause the program to report that that email is already being used.
As Admin, make sure there is no awaiting membership members (if your forum requires approval of members signing up/registering).

Another Way:
As Admin you can change a member's email by doing this;

Login as Admin.
Click the "Members" link.
Find the member you are wanting to change the email address on.
Use the "Pencil " Icon (located on the far right side of the line the member's username is on), not by clicking on the "View member's profile"
You'll be asked to use your Admin password again.
Make the change
Click the "Submit" button.

Be sure to let the user (member) know that you have changed their email; and that they must respond to the email the program sent to their new address before any change will take effect.

If you have trouble remembering all I posted on this; I suggest you highlight my text; right click it and choose copy; then bring up NotePad or another word program, right click the body of it and paste the text (instructions) there. Then you can simply minimize the instructions up and down as needed when working within your forum.

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

jackbrim
Starting Member

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  06:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx for that but i have tried to change the members e-mail address but all it says is that that e-mail is already in use but i know its not as it is still showing his old address

I am no lady but definately a woman
Go to Top of Page

RUlmer

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2012 :  08:28:43  Show Profile Send RUlmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the email is already in use, then previous tries to change the member's email, or a member trying to re-register using the new email, has the system holding that email awaiting action.

If the person did not follow-up and respond to the confirmation email, then the new email is still in use.
It's also possible that the email ended up in the SPAM or JUNK folders of the member's email account. Either way, the email would be tied to actions previously done by the Admin of the forum or the member.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ForumCo Support Forums © 2000 - 2010 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2