ForumCo Support Forums
ForumCo Support Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 ForumCo Support Boards
 Members helping members - Administrator Support
 Change of name/forum admin
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Whizz
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  09:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi we have and use one of your free forums, it gets used a great deal, but unfortunately due to retirement our (super) forum administrator is no longer in the position to carry on with the caretaking of the forum admin, the forum was also generated in that persons name.
So 1, Is it possible? for the (Super) Forum Admin rights to access/control, to be passed to our organisations NEW nominated person?
(current administrator does not have full control)
2, Is it possible? to change the URL address,(??????forum.co) current one is the originators name, would like to, if possible, change to our organisations name?
Any help or information greatly appreciated
Whizz

RUlmer

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2012 :  14:32:17  Show Profile Send RUlmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whizz;
The things you are asking for (if possible) would require a ForumCo Admin to make changes on the forum. And some of the things you ask for are not possible, for example; changing the forum's URL address. The name of the forum is part of the URL address; you can't change either the name or the address. Doing so makes the forum a complete new (different) forum.

For awhile ForumCo stopped giving out any new "Free" forums some time back. However, they might have started doing so again, and I'm not aware of it. But if you go that way, you'll be starting out with a complete different (new) forum. Your members will need to register on the new forum.

I'd suggest you get the original "Super" Admin to give you his forum password. Then someone new (as admin) change the password; and then continue on with the forum as it is now. If you can't get that original password, maybe a ForumCo Admin will assist you in changing the password. But, I know they (ForumCo) will first try to contact the original Admin before doing anything to the forum. As for as ForumCo is concerned, it's that person's forum, and they not going to give full control of it to someone else without the original owner's permission.

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page

Whizz
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  03:52:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks RUlmer
Was hoping to not have to start a new forum, current one is 6 years young and gets used daily if not possible will'll have to carry on with the current url name, current forum is linked via our website so does the job perfectly.
Yeh the ownership is our main issue i'll try your first suggestion to change oenership but may end up withs

Have a good day Whizz
Go to Top of Page

jackbrim
Starting Member

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  17:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi RUlmer

I am the original super forum admin and they already have the password and i also have no qualms of giving up the forum or them having the ownership and they do have permission to take it (over regardless of the fact he thinks he is going to get black eyes!!!!!) Do i need to get in touch with forumco myself then to let them know of this change as it does need sorting quite soon.
Thank you

I am no lady but definately a woman

Edited by - jackbrim on 03/01/2012 18:11:05
Go to Top of Page

RUlmer

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  20:24:35  Show Profile Send RUlmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Jackbrim;
If Whizz already has the "Super Admin" password, then he/she? should be able to make any changes he'd wish to do now or in the future. I suggested he go that way due to the fact one can/should not change the original URL address of the forum. You can't change the URL without starting a completely new forum.(See below more on this subject)

I can't speak for ForumCo; I'm just a moderator and have no say in how they run their business. But, I'm sure they would have no problem if you are willing to allow someone else to continue, as if they were you, in running the forum. I don't know that ForumCo needs to be notified, unless you wish to inform them of the situation. If it was me, I'd just PM a ForumCo Admin about what I was doing.

I do think the new person that takes over the forum should edit the Super Admin's profile; things like changing the email address to one of theirs; changing the name of the individual (real name, not username); the username may have to stay the same as it was setup as I understand it, but the profile can indicate who that person really is. This isn't it the same as the name in the URL address to the forum? If one changes that, it becomes a new forum, and any links to the address on any web pages to it is obviously going to need to be changed. (It does not take a ForumCo Admin to do such a change as the forum's name change); you or the new admin of the forum can do that.

The name of the forum, that shows on the top-right of each page, can be changed, but not the URL address to it. You change that in the Admin Options, under "Main Forum Configuration".

However, I may have told you something wrong, and I'm going to have to back way up to correct (eat my words). There is an option, 5th line down in the "Main Forum Configuration" of the Admin Options, that shows the forum's URL. But, to be honest, I've never tried to change the address to my forum. You can try it, if you're brave enough; who knows what kind of problems it could cause! You might want to check with someone else that has done this before, or a ForumCo Admin?

I've changed the "Home Page" before, and the name of the forum, but that is not something that would make me lose my forum in cyberspace, or all my memberships, etc. It'd be best to see what happens with this URL change effects before doing so. It may not cause any problems, but I'd think all members would have to know where the forum is at, and change their "Favorite" Links, etc.

Jackbrim, if there's a rush, you can send the ForumCo Admin an email about all this. I don't know when he'll check back into the forum.

Edited by - RUlmer on 03/02/2012 07:38:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ForumCo Support Forums © 2000 - 2010 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2