ForumCo Support Forums
ForumCo Support Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 ForumCo Support Boards
 Members helping members - Administrator Support
 Forum off
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RUlmer

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2013 :  08:58:41  Show Profile Send RUlmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pauline,
it may just be that some of your members that are not seeing all of the categories after getting into your forum and clicking once on a topic, are then getting lost. As you know, you have several categories set up on your forum. Here's a "Tip" that all your members should be aware of;
Always return to the highest level of the forums (and all categories) by simply clicking on the logo icon of your forum(s). That way, you/they won't be lost in a lower area of the forum's categories, and will be able to see the forum at its highest level showing all categories.

Another tip (unrelated to the above subject):
I've noticed you have many animated graphics running on your forum. On the entrance page alone I count 14 running. All these animated graphics take extra time to load (compared to a non-animated graphic). If one of your members has a slow Internet service, they may have trouble loading your page. Then the member assumes something is wrong with your forum. When in fact it isn't, it's just taking extra time to load due to extra bandwidth requirements; and at times that can even cause the member to get a "service timed out" type message. While all the animation is neat, it isn't neat if a slow service won't load it.

Go to Top of Page

Pauline
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2013 :  14:53:12  Show Profile  Visit Pauline's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't think the animated graphics have got anything to do with the current problems. At least two people tell me that they can see the whole site including all the graphics UNTIL they log in, as soon as they log in everything on the site disappears and all they see is a box saying No Categories/Forums Found. If they can see the whole site when they're NOT logged in why can't they see it when they ARE logged in, that's what we find so baffling. This is a copy of a screenshot that they sent me I had the same problem myself a while ago but in my case it seems to have sorted itself out, I didn't do anything, it just suddenly started working again.

One of my members seems to have a different problem, he says that when he tries to open the site the whole page is cramped up into a little square at one corner od the screen and nothing he's tried so far has made any difference. This is the ONLY site he's having this problem with which suggests that the problem is with the site not with his computer.

I've just about given up now, the site is dieing and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it.
Go to Top of Page

RUlmer

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2013 :  09:26:18  Show Profile Send RUlmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pauline,
I see nothing wrong with your site. You might ask "Bob" to copy the url address that he was at when he took the snapshot you posted above (then post it on this thread). I don't know if having that will help me help you, but I can't find the page Bob saw and took a snapshot of; maybe if I had the url he was at I can figure this problem out.

As it is, I see from the photo you provided, that he, Bob, had clicked on your "Home" page sometime prior to seeing the page he took the shot of, however I see nothing wrong with the page that the "Home" link takes one to.

There is a difference in what I'd see and what Bob would see. He was logged in, and I'm not a member of your forum, or logged in. This, you have pointed out about members seeing everything correct until they log in. See if you can get that url address your forum is taking them to when they log in, and post back. Have them snapshot the URL line of that page, or just "Highlight" it and copy/send it to you.

Even if I can't see what's going on, maybe a ForumCo Admin will.

Go to Top of Page

Pauline
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  12:41:17  Show Profile  Visit Pauline's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well as far as I can tell he was on the usual url You must be logged in to see this link. He sais that when he first goes to the site everything appears as normal -- just the way it would to any non-member who was looking in, then he logs in and the message comes up on screen as usual "You logged on successfully ! Thank you for your participation" but as soon as that message has gone all he sees is what is shown in the photo, all the categories, forums etc have just vanished from sight and all he sees is that message saying there are none to display. He's also mentioned that he can get into his private messages, but he can't access his own profile OR the members list.

One of the other members, Fussy also has problems, for a long time he says he couldn't see the site at all, now he says he can see the page but it appears to be distorted and he can't sign in or post messages at all and he's very upset about it.

Since neither of them has had any problems with any other sites except mine it DOES seem to suggest that the problem is with the site and not with their computers, but it's just so weird that some of us are able to sign in and post and others can't. I'm just about ready to give up the site now, it didn't have that many members before all this happened, and now that over half of the ones it did have can't use it any more it hardly seems worth carrying on.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  12:49:08  Show Profile  Visit Pauline's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the way, we have tried changing Bob's password - twice - just in case that was causing the problem, but it didn't make any difference.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2013 :  15:34:43  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I logged in to your forum without problem. It was fast and responsive.

You need to find out what browser the problem users are using.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Helpdesk Knowledgebase Rate ForumCo @ Hotscripts Rate ForumCo @ Cgi-Resources
Please provide:
* error messages * direct link to your forum * any possibly helpful information.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2013 :  06:05:29  Show Profile  Visit Pauline's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe that both Bob and Fussy are using Internet Explorer. But then, so am I, and I'm no longer having problems (touch wood)
Go to Top of Page

CRAFT-Guy
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  17:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone check the Montana Owners Forum at You must be logged in to see this link. ??? Logon attempts are failing with the message "Server Error, The Application variables are not loaded. Please try again later.".

This has been occurring for the last two hours (that I know of). I thought originally the system was being re-started but it shouldn't take this long.

Edited by - CRAFT-Guy on 12/14/2013 23:37:05
Go to Top of Page

CRAFT-Guy
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  20:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem is now resolved (about 20 minutes ago as near as I can tell). Thanks to whoever fixed it.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2013 :  10:43:05  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry. That was my fault. I restarted the server and forgot to check on montanaadministrator.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Helpdesk Knowledgebase Rate ForumCo @ Hotscripts Rate ForumCo @ Cgi-Resources
Please provide:
* error messages * direct link to your forum * any possibly helpful information.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  19:36:04  Show Profile  Visit Pauline's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I had problems again myself over the weekend, but I'm back in now. The others unfortunately aren't.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ForumCo Support Forums © 2000 - 2010 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2