ForumCo Support Forums
ForumCo Support Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 ForumCo Support Boards
 Free Forum Support
 Google Adsense?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RUlmer

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  15:42:38  Show Profile Send RUlmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Padaric,
Thanks for the reply. I'll set my resolution to a different setting, as you suggested. I'll also post this information on my forum so any members that are bothered by it will also know how to correct it.
Thank you for the free forum.

R Ulmer
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  17:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not, only a small percentage of users use 800x600 now. Most use 1024x768.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Helpdesk Knowledgebase Rate ForumCo @ Hotscripts Rate ForumCo @ Cgi-Resources
Please provide:
* error messages * direct link to your forum * any possibly helpful information.
Go to Top of Page

ukfilm

123 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  17:55:49  Show Profile Send ukfilm a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You've lost me...

I don't the see the 'Two banner ads, a massive 300x250 square' and didn't get a pop up. Or has my pop-up killer killed that (ironically maybe the one provided by the google toolbar)?
Go to Top of Page

RUlmer

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  18:47:57  Show Profile Send RUlmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's probably just me getting old, but I like to be able to read the text, as it is displayed in the 800X600 screen setting, instead of the 1024X768.

R Ulmer
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  19:00:21  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't the see the 'Two banner ads, a massive 300x250 square' and didn't get a pop up. Or has my pop-up killer killed that (ironically maybe the one provided by the google toolbar)?

Disable your adblocker and/or enable javascript.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
* error messages * direct link to your forum * any possibly helpful information.
Go to Top of Page

RUlmer

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2006 :  20:10:08  Show Profile Send RUlmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Problem solved, I think?
I changed my resolution to the suggested 1024x764. It took care of the problem about having to use the slide bar to see text on the far-right side. However, I didn't like the size of the text in that resolution. So I went back into the Desktop Settings, and also the "Advanced" settings from that tab; I found, and changed the "fonts" setting to "Large".
Now my text in all my programs are about the same size as they were in the 800x600 resolution, and I really don't mind the ads being there.

R Ulmer
Go to Top of Page

ukfilm

123 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  03:28:30  Show Profile Send ukfilm a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You could have changed the text size in 'adim options' and made it bigger for everybody.
Go to Top of Page

ukfilm

123 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  06:50:24  Show Profile Send ukfilm a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It occurs to me that what will also happen is that if the ads become intrusive then users will start to seek out ways of blocking them, thereby making the exercise counter-productive. For instance, up to now I've accepted them, but now I'm thinking about how to get rid of them. If everyone else follows suit, and if every ad-blocker starts to block Google ads too, then you may have a problem. This has a precedent with pop-ups.

is it not possible for the forum to come with ads in a column down the side? Like Oxle? Would Marcel be willing to give you the coding? Just a thought - I'm trying to be helpful.
Go to Top of Page

RUlmer

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  07:04:50  Show Profile Send RUlmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ukfilm

You could have changed the text size in 'adim options' and made it bigger for everybody.

The problem is not the text. The Adsense is in a table, and when you size your screen resolution to a size to accommodate the table's width, that cause's smaller text. I'd still have had a awful long horizontal scroll bar and would have to slide the page right and left to read the text if I change only the text in the program's Admin.
It would not help me in the other text programs I use on my computer to have the text larger in the forums only. I wanted to rid myself of the scroll bar, and at the same time keep the text at a reasonable size.
Thanks for the suggestion. I wish it could be done as you mention.

R Ulmer
Go to Top of Page

RUlmer

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  08:00:20  Show Profile Send RUlmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the words, "Intrusive", and "Invasive" are keywords in this matter. Both words apply, and have been used in this topic's discussion. As with all advertisements, here or on TV, the advertisers want to catch your attention even, if it is rude. They like to interrupt, when you least want it to happen. TV for example, cuts away to the commercials at the most interesting points in the story you are watching.
This is not much different than a Pop Up, but a little less annoying.
The thing about changing resolution, takes care of my text size problem; but it also causes the ads' text to be smaller, therefore working against the purpose of the ad. I'm less likely to read something that is in small text form. If Google continues to use the table area as they are now, they will be working against themselves. You'd think they would like for you to be able to read their ads as easy as your own text?

My problem is fixed. I'll try to be less "Intrusive" in this topic.

R Ulmer
Go to Top of Page

hulagirl
Starting Member

20 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  08:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's hardly noticeable now, on our forum. i think we're used to it. i still don't like it, but no big deal.
i'm not sure i understand the F5F5F5 thing, though. ???

Go to Top of Page

adriennelane
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  10:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mind the ads outside of the forum, but it's intrusive inside the topics. Put them all over the sides and on top and bottom, just not in the forum.
Go to Top of Page

MistyH
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2006 :  11:45:39  Show Profile Send MistyH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found them annoying as well! I don't mind ads at the top but think they are tack in posts!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  15:15:54  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would it be better if they were only shown to people who were not logged in?

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

RUlmer

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2006 :  16:17:51  Show Profile Send RUlmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Would it be better if they were only shown to people who were not logged in?

I'd vote for that! It would possibly encourage my members to log in more often and read their PMs, if they knew, they could remove the ad's by logging in. I'd even post a topic pointing that out on my forum.

R Ulmer
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ForumCo Support Forums © 2000 - 2010 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2