ForumCo Support Forums
ForumCo Support Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 ForumCo Support Boards
 Free Forum Support
 two columns of text
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  03:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're pulling data using a script then I cannot protect the page in any way or you won't be able to get it to work.

Location is made up of City & State. I can add date members joined and number of posts.

How exactly are you pulling the data?

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Helpdesk Knowledgebase Rate ForumCo @ Hotscripts Rate ForumCo @ Cgi-Resources
Please provide:
* error messages * direct link to your forum * any possibly helpful information.
Go to Top of Page

Rambigsky

53 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  06:31:17  Show Profile Send Rambigsky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
use excel "get Data" and put the table in excel then manipulate it unless you have a better way.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  07:01:08  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If its just used for display purposes then it would probably be better if I created a page which the mods could look at. It would save you the work of having to put it into Excel and distribute it to whoever needed it.

If its for display on some other website then xml is the way to go.

If you really need it in Excel then the way to go is for me to put the data in a table on the webpage. Excel will then put the correct tables columns into seperate Excel columns.

It been an interesting little project for me so far.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
* error messages * direct link to your forum * any possibly helpful information.
Go to Top of Page

Rambigsky

53 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  07:11:36  Show Profile Send Rambigsky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use the excel to generate the STATS and FACTS post, the MOC MEMBERS Numbers post and also the Introductions of new members. Excel publishes the text in your FORUMCO Forum Code including URL links to the new members profile page.

A year ago it was all done by hand. I loaded it into excel and then found the GET DATA capability that has cut our publishing time greatly.

The state sort in the STATS and FACTS is one of the reasons for the data base because the State listing in your form are free flow. As you will notice the STATS and FACTS are sorted by state. Again this was pre my involvement. However, that was a reason you were asked about sorting by states almost a year ago by Lady RV.
The new page we are working on will make sure I have the most up to date info on members, especially when Lady RV deletes "slackers", those who have not posted in a long time. By pulling this page I will have 95% the DB info I need to generate all three posts.
Really appreciate your help. My knowledge of web stuff is limited.
RBS
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  13:21:27  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The script has been updated to include member date (YYYYMMDD) and member posts.

Are all the records going into the correct columns?

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Rambigsky

53 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  16:25:16  Show Profile Send Rambigsky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Padraic,
Yes this looks like it should work well. I will work on the basic code to pull this information and process it.
Thanks for all your help.
RBS
Go to Top of Page

Rambigsky

53 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  17:25:03  Show Profile Send Rambigsky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Padriac,
The column format is good. I do not need the <br> at the end. But, I am now getting single long text string instead of individual lines. When you made the last change I think you removed an end of line function that the "Get Data" was looking for.
Again appreciate your help.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  19:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Rambigsky

53 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  20:18:46  Show Profile Send Rambigsky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Padraic,
Thanks that works great. I do have one problem that just surfaced. Member number 5 "gary/sharon" use the "forward slash" in their name. Can you change the delimiter to a "backward slash"?
Again appreciate your help
RBS
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  21:16:28  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Rambigsky

53 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  03:24:03  Show Profile Send Rambigsky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Padraic,
Sorry to keep bothering you. I worked on my state recognition software and notice the "," are missing and I also notice some two word states are a single word. Is there any way to just present the "location" information as I would see it in a members profile.
I appreciate your help.
RBS
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  06:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The comma is fixed but the State is entered by the user so it could be entered like "NY", "New York" or "NewYork Nw Yrk".
It will appear in the members profile whatever way they entered it.

An admin will have to edit those members for you.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Rambigsky

53 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  07:32:40  Show Profile Send Rambigsky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Padraic,
I am not making myself clear. The list you built for me (web list) shows "RC and Samantha" member number "2" from "LakeOrion Michigan" on your latest (web list) yet on the MOC profile the location shows Lake Orion, Michigan
I am not sure why but your web list drooped the space between Lake and Orion and the comma after Orion. This is just one example of many space dropping.
I am asking if you can pull the location just the same as it is shown on the profile.
The lose of the comma is not a problem but when member number 4485 has BritishColumbia run together my lookup does not work because it is looking for British Columbia.
I am sorry for taking up your time.
Thanks
RBS
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  07:44:55  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was my fault. It should be fixed now. If its not, let me know.

Its no trouble for me, its not exactly busy here at the moment and besides LadyRV is one of my best customers. If you need something else added let me know.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Rambigsky

53 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  07:51:27  Show Profile Send Rambigsky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Padraic,
Yes that looks a lot better. Thank you for your help.
I use the URL link to pull this page. As long as the URL link does not change and it is available to MODS I see no problem. With that said, I do not think it makes any difference if it is published or not as long as the spread sheet can access it.
I now noticed the comma in all the fields and realized you have seperated the city and state in the profile so please replace the comma with a delimiter to seperate them. That saves me having to do it on the excel.
Dumb me I should have looked at my profile when we started this conversation. So yes please delimiter it. Remember I am using "\".
Thanks
RBS

Edited by - Rambigsky on 09/03/2005 08:24:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ForumCo Support Forums © 2000 - 2010 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2