ForumCo Support Forums
ForumCo Support Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 ForumCo Support Boards
 Free Forum Support
 Not sure if something is wrong with forum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elrick
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  09:08:08  Show Profile Send Elrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to bother you folks. I usually try not too but I have noticed a couple of things recently and wasn't sure if I should inform somebody. I have a freeforum (You must be logged in to see this link.) and have for a very long time. Forumco is wonderful. But a while back I noticed that the google ads were no longer displaying on our pages. I just assumed that maybe you guys stopped running them on the free forums. Then I started having a lot of trouble with....I call them spambots because I do not know what else to call them. They seem to be fake users that sign up and then if they post, it is usually inappropriate links or links to meds. I am having to delete a lot of these lately and was wondering what I could do about them. I am not even sure how they are signing up because when I went to check the register function I just get a blank page after I click on the "Agree" button. So I thought maybe I should ask about these things or at least tell somebody. Thank you for any help you can provide. I apologize for any inconvienience.

RUlmer

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  09:37:52  Show Profile Send RUlmer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ads by Google are the only ads currently on the forum's pages. Your site appears to be correct.

As far as the spamming goes, you'll simply have to maintain your site by deleting the SPAM post when they appear.

If it is a member posting SPAM; "Lock" that username's membership, and delete that person's spam post. It is best to "Lock" a membership (instead of deleting one), because then the person can not repost; where as a deleted one can simply sign up again as someone else. A "Locked" one can't sign up again using a different username if they are using the same email address that they originally joined with.

The only other way to stop un-wanted memberships is to set your forum to where only those you (as Admin) okay or approve all new memberships before they become posting members. In a wide-open forum (like yours) where you want many and more members, it probably is not a situation where you want to have to approve all new memberships. But, when just anyone can join, the forum is wide open to those who will SPAM it.

TIP: A good moderator, or two, can help watch for and remove unwanted post on a forum.

Edited by - RUlmer on 08/14/2012 08:11:05
Go to Top of Page

J-Loo
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  13:50:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have the same problem, but we delete them when they ask to join our site. I can count on one hand the number of spammers we've had signing up on our board before the summer, but recently there have been at least 4-5 pr day!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  17:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem is that they are not just robots anymore, they are human.

I'm trying to come up with a solution.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Helpdesk Knowledgebase Rate ForumCo @ Hotscripts Rate ForumCo @ Cgi-Resources
Please provide:
* error messages * direct link to your forum * any possibly helpful information.
Go to Top of Page

J-Loo
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  02:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So that's why... I was sat her wandering lol.

Please take your time! Like I said, I just delete them when they join so it's nothing more than a random inconvenience really :)
Go to Top of Page

Elrick
Starting Member

22 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  22:00:01  Show Profile Send Elrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tonight when I logged on, some of my colors are messed up so I went under the admin section and checked the color/table settings or whatever they are called and every so often there is a color missing. It is just blank. I know there was a color listed there before so I try to set them back. But everytime I check, certain spots where a color should be listed are still blank. I have never seen this glitch before so I figured I should report it. I do not appear to be able to change anything for the moment. Sorry to have to bother you again.

You must be logged in to see this link.

****update*****
Everything seems back to normal this morning. The only thing I notice now is that the active user thing isn't working. It's not showing members who are logged in.

Edited by - Elrick on 11/04/2010 10:56:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ForumCo Support Forums © 2000 - 2010 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2