ForumCo Support Forums
ForumCo Support Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 ForumCo Support Boards
 Members helping members - Administrator Support
 Time out error
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  07:15:43  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message
I kept the backup from the 25th in a safe place just in case.
I'm not sure exactly what is happening but the archived topics and replies are in your live database, just not showing. They are showing up in the backup which is using exactly the same code.
I'm going to restart the server and see if it fixes it.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Helpdesk Knowledgebase Rate ForumCo @ Hotscripts Rate ForumCo @ Cgi-Resources
Please provide:
* error messages * direct link to your forum * any possibly helpful information.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  08:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message
I'm beginning to think its some kind of limit that has been hit.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
* error messages * direct link to your forum * any possibly helpful information.
Go to Top of Page

Montana Owners Club
ForumCo Moderator

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  10:45:39  Show Profile  Visit Montana Owners Club's Homepage Send Montana Owners Club a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

I'm beginning to think its some kind of limit that has been hit.

I am not sure I understand...sorry.

I just was reading on our forum and got this on the end of the page:

quote:
Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/topic.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.

This is the You must be logged in to see this link. for the above error?

I could see the archived topics last night, of course I did not check each and everyone of them. The ones I did check did seem to have all duplicate posts.

I will check today to make sure I can still see them.

I was going to try and do some house cleaning on the forum to eliminate some of the forums, but I do not want to do anything without discussing it with you.

Things just seem strange over there lately.

Thanks for all you do. We do appreciate it.

Lady RV

Edited by - Montana Owners Club on 06/29/2007 16:01:48
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  18:30:30  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message
There are about 17325 archived topics and 218883 archived replies in that forum alone. My guess is that the forum software breaks when trying to loads them up on forum.asp

Its a code thing, not a database thing i.e. the archived topics and replies are there just not being shown.
No need to restore the old database, just fix the code or make it more efficient.

More news as I get it.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  18:52:18  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message
I've used a quick and dirty fix to limit the amount of topics which the forum searches for to the first 100. This is to prevent timeout errors when viewing the archives. I should be able to fix the problem by creating a new index on those tables or re-indexing the current ones.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Montana Owners Club
ForumCo Moderator

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  19:06:11  Show Profile  Visit Montana Owners Club's Homepage Send Montana Owners Club a Private Message
quote:

I've used a quick and dirty fix to limit the amount of topics which the forum searches for to the first 100. This is to prevent timeout errors when viewing the archives. I should be able to fix the problem by creating a new index on those tables or re-indexing the current ones.

OK, sounds good to me and way over my head. LOL I did see you were visiting.

I once belonged to a really huge forum and once they had to create another one and just keep the first one for refernce. We aren't to a point like that are we?

I'm sorry this is creating such a problem and extra work for you. Did I tell you that you ROCK?

Edited by - Montana Owners Club on 06/29/2007 16:02:00
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  19:09:53  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message
Indexes are just a quick way to find something, just like the index of a book. Databases have them too, to make finding stuff quicker. I'm hoping to create one for the archived stuff which will make it faster. Simple eh ?

I'm waiting for some suggestions from a db guru regarding indexes and then I'll know what to do from there.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Montana Owners Club
ForumCo Moderator

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2007 :  20:23:57  Show Profile  Visit Montana Owners Club's Homepage Send Montana Owners Club a Private Message
quote:

Indexes are just a quick way to find something, just like the index of a book. Databases have them too, to make finding stuff quicker. I'm hoping to create one for the archived stuff which will make it faster. Simple eh ?

I'm waiting for some suggestions from a db guru regarding indexes and then I'll know what to do from there.

Thank you. I am so glad we have you. It does not sound simple to me. Hope the DB guru helps. The faster archived stuff sounds great.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Lady RV

Edited by - Montana Owners Club on 06/29/2007 16:02:19
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  07:56:55  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message
Indexes didn't help but I'm still working on it. You will probably get timeout errors if you try to view the archive but don't worry, its only temporary.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Montana Owners Club
ForumCo Moderator

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  10:48:20  Show Profile  Visit Montana Owners Club's Homepage Send Montana Owners Club a Private Message
No worries...I know you'll find a solution and it will be better than ever.

Thank you,
Lady RV

Edited by - Montana Owners Club on 06/29/2007 16:02:35
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  10:50:58  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message
quote:
ON EDIT: When I was finally able to post it showed up three times, so even though I was getting the time out error the post was posting. If that makes sense?

Its because you weren't receiving the error because of what you were posting. You were probably getting the timeout error when trying to view the page after you had posted.

Still working on a solution.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Montana Owners Club
ForumCo Moderator

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  18:19:48  Show Profile  Visit Montana Owners Club's Homepage Send Montana Owners Club a Private Message
Understand and thank you for your continued work on the solution.

Lady RV

Edited by - Montana Owners Club on 06/29/2007 16:02:49
Go to Top of Page

Montana Owners Club
ForumCo Moderator

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2007 :  21:07:08  Show Profile  Visit Montana Owners Club's Homepage Send Montana Owners Club a Private Message
quote:

I am not sure this is relevant or not, but when I go to General Discussion and hit the archive topics...only ten come up and some crazy language near the top of the page.

I know you're working on this all, so I am not complaining but simply reporting.

Thanks again,
Lady RV

Edited by - Montana Owners Club on 06/29/2007 16:03:22
Go to Top of Page

Admin
ForumCo Administrator

Éire
4087 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  03:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message Send Admin a Private Message
Thats on your backup forum. I'm testing a more efficient way to do the paging on forum.asp. The language you see is a database query. I printed it out to make sure that its correct everytime you view a page. I created the indexes I was talking about on your forum and it looks like it has made a difference.

Padraic,

ForumCo Support
www.forumco.com

Please provide:
Go to Top of Page

Montana Owners Club
ForumCo Moderator

USA
844 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2007 :  14:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Montana Owners Club's Homepage Send Montana Owners Club a Private Message
Wonderful and again thank you.

Lady RV

ON EDIT:

The Statistics are back at the bottom...is that where they have to remain or is it temporary? It makes a difference I believe with the introduction software. We really prefer them not as detailed on top.

ON EDIT AGAIN:

I did manage to get the statistics back on top. I hope that is not a problem?

Montana Owner's Club Discussion Forum

Edited by - Montana Owners Club on 06/29/2007 16:05:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ForumCo Support Forums © 2000 - 2010 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2